Sunday, December 21, 2008

Don't Waste Your Graduation

It was a real blessing to take part in the commencement ceremonies last Friday at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth. If for no other reason it was a gift to my wife who endured the last couple years as I was finishing my degree. One of the most encouraging moments was when our seminary president, Paige Patterson addressed us during the rehearsal and challenged us with Proverbs 12:27.

“A lazy man does not roast his prey, but the precious possession of a man is diligence.”

Dr. Patterson used the illustration of the proverb to challenge us to continue our pursuit of studying and applying God’s Word. I don’t want to get lazy or complacent. That would be a waste of all the work put in thus far. I also want to keep all the study in perspective. It is for application- for ministry. So I was convicted to lay out some goals for the coming year in how I can keep from wasting my graduation. Here are my initial goals for 2009 (the first few months anyway) to carry on my studies and the application of my studies:

1. Read biographies on John Wesley, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and Jonathan Edwards
2. Teach a course on sharing the gospel
3. Share the gospel at least once a week in a one-on-one conversation.
4. Finish preaching through Matthew’s Gospel
5. Preach a mini-series on church health.
6. Preach a mini-series on worship.
7. Read through the Bible with my wife.
8. Read through the Book of Acts during January with my church.
9. Preach four biography sermons (John Calvin, Lottie Moon, Martin Luther, and either John Wesley or Charles Simeon).
10. Spend more time with other pastors for fellowship and prayer.


How about you? What are your goals for pursuing a deeper knowledge of the Word and for applying that knowledge? If you don’t aim for anything you won’t hit anything either.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget