Monday, December 1, 2008

Filling the Pulpit

One of the blessings of my life has been the godly men who the Lord has placed in my path for instruction, conviction, and encouragement. Keith Meyer is one of those men. Keith is an associate pastor in the area and has been a pastor at two or three congregations. He’s recovering from triple-bypass and will be preaching in my place while I’m out of town in a couple weeks (graduating from seminary). We visited today and I walked away with another Meyer-nugget. He said with regards to the pastorate and the local church, “My call is not to fill the pews but to fill the pulpit.” That’s a great statement. So often I can get frustrated by the lack of so-called success or visible response in my ministry. A lot of pastors and lay people do. Keith wisely reminded me that it is faithfulness that we are called to, not success. The Holy Spirit will do what He wills once the Word is unleashed. We are called to simply unleash that Word. I can no more get people in the pews than I get them into Heaven. That is in God’s hands. I can however drive people out of the pews if I fail to properly and obediently feed them the Word of God week in and week out. How blessed I was by that encouraging word today, and I’m eager for my church to be blessed in two weeks by my friend Keith Meyer as he again faithfully fills the pulpit.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget