Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hooray for Reading

I have a really bad habit of reading multiple books at a time so it takes me longer to get through some. However I have given myself permission recently to quit on books before finishing that are mediocre or have weak content. (there’s no sense in wasting more time). Between my desk in my office and the nightstand beside my bed I have several books I’m working through.

I thought I’d share what I’ve found edifying right now. In parentheses is an uber-brief review comment. There is another stack of books by my bed which make up the waiting list. I won’t mention those! Books I am reading right now…

On my desk sits When People are Big and God is Small by Ed Welch (excellent), Pagan Christianity by George Barna & Frank Viola (weak arguments- making me angry), What Jesus Demands of the World by John Piper (breathtaking), and IVP Commentary on Nehemiah by Derek Kidner (very helpful for an upcoming sermon series).

On my nightstand at home sits God is the Gospel by John Piper (refreshing), Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Husband Needs to Know by C.J. Mahaney (really convicting), and Love that Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace by Gary & Betsy Ricucci (one of the best three marriage books I’ve ever read).

Some books I just put on the shelves after finishing that I’d recommend include, Turning the Ship: Exploring the Age-Integrated Church by my friend Dustin Guidry, Dominion & Dynasty by Stephen Dempster, Total Church by Tim Chester & Steve Timmis. All of these books mentioned above should be available at CBD or Amazon. So what are you reading?

6 comments:

Jilliefl1 said...

The sequel to “Pagan Christianity?” is out now. It’s called “Reimagining Church”. It picks up where “Pagan Christianity” left off and continues the conversation. (“Pagan Christianity” was never meant to be a stand alone book; it’s part one of the conversation.) “Reimagining Church” is endorsed by Leonard Sweet, Shane Claiborne, Alan Hirsch, and many others. You can read a sample chapter at
http://www.ReimaginingChurch.org .
It’s also available on Amazon.com. Frank is also blogging now at http://www.frankviola.wordpress.com .

Also, for a look at the purpose and vision behind these books, check out Viola's brand new book, "From Eternity to Here" at http://www.frometernitytohere.org .

Jeremy Bradshaw said...

The problem I have with the book is not the issues it addresses. There is much I agree with in the assessment but some of the arguments against, for example the sermon are weak and incomplete. I'm still reading the book though so in fairness I'll reserve complete judgment until I finish. Then I'll post some comments.

texelct said...

I'm reading a book called "Epic" by John Somebody. I don't read much but this little book has really re-energized (I guess that's the right word) my thoughts about the story of Creation, Jesus and how my life, our lives, are the continuation of the story that will never end. The author gives a great vision of the significance of each "act".



Hey, does your wife ever yell "WOULD YOU PUT THAT BOOK DOWN AND GET OFF THE POT"?

Jeremy Bradshaw said...

Ha! Well Blair is happy when I am reading because it means I'm not eating.

I've not read EPIC, but someone gave it to me so I'll have to check it out. Good to hear from you!

fromthebook said...

Coincidentally, I just began permitting myself the same thing: some books just don't deserve to be read all the way through. I've also given myself the right to throw a book away. "The Shack" will be the first book to hit the dump (besides some college text books I've already tossed, and all my Michael Crichton books that I read when I was a teenager: they're long gone as well). I used to think that all "Christian" books were worth keeping, even if their message was flawed, because I could use the material to draw conclusions on how Scripture is twisted by some. But, "The Shack" is so deceptively veiled in it's twisting that I can't even allow myself the possibility of running across it again on my bookshelf. It provoked an anger in me that I don't wish to revisit. The Church is falling so easy for junk like that, and it's no less serious that Christian bookstores are buying into it, making it available, and putting it on the first shelf you see when you walk in the store.
Stepping off that soap box...I just read "Secrets of the Koran" by Don Richardson (author of "Peace Child"): highly recommended for a thorough treatment of Islam's holy book. I've laid down JC Ryle's "Holiness" for a while, with full intention to pick it up again soon. I'm also taking it slow with JI Packer's "Knowing God". My most frequent read at the moment is "The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards" by Steven Lawson. Lawson is not proving to be an earth shattering author, but he gives great treatment to Edwards' "Resolutions", and he urges the Christian generation of today to follow a similar path.
Hope all is well in PA! March on!

Jeremy Bradshaw said...

Just be sure to recycle! Haha, I'm ashamed to say I've never read Ryle's book and its a classic. Packer's Knowing God is one of my all-time favorites. Lawson's book on Edwards is on my futures list, but I have read his book on Calvin which is excellent. Thanks for the word on the Islam book and I absolutely agree with your assesment of the Shack. I've taken it on the chin from more than a couple people regarding my objection to that book.

There was an error in this gadget