Over the next couple weeks I'll be conducting three or four membership interviews. This is where I screen membership candidates to be certain they are regenerate, agree on basic doctrines, affirm the Church Covenant, and understand what church membership is all about.
So just for clarity I thought I'd recap here (primarily for my fellow church members) what the responsibilities and privileges of church membership are (at least as it pertains to our local congregation). I've been encouraged by the writings of Mark Dever and Thabiti Anyabwile on this subject and have incorporated some of their phrasing into my own.
What are the responsibilities of church membership?
1. A church member attends regularly as is physically possible (Hebrews 10:24-25).
2. A church member pursues peace at home and in the congregation (Romans 14:19).
3. A church member edifies and serves others (Ephesians 4:11-16).
4. A church member speaks truth in love to others (Galatians 6:1-2).
5. A church member is patient and pursues reconcilliation (Matthew 5:23-24).
6. A church member participates in the ordinances of baptism and communion (Acts 2:41a; 1 Corinthians 11:26).
7. A church member supports the mission and ministry of the church (Romans 12:6-8).
What are the privileges of church membership?
1. A church member is able to serve in leadership in the ministry of the church.
2. A church member is able to vote in the decisions of the church.
3. A church member is able to receive special care and accountability by the church.