Friday, September 11, 2009

Band of Brothers

Last night fifteen men from our church met together at Cowboy Red's for our second "Band of Brothers" gathering. This is our new men's ministry. It is a no frills gathering of guys so that we can just do guy stuff in a God-honoring way. There are some funny moments that come out of these get-togethers but I'm sworn to secrecy. I will say that more meat was consumed than might be thought humanly possible! We are getting together to strengthen the friendships we have and build new ones. I've been asked if the name of this ministry was inspired by the HBO miniseries about WWII. I'd say yes- partially, but the origin of this name comes from Shakespeare's play Henry V. There is a scene when Henry V is rallying his troops to charge into battle on St. Crispin's Day. The clip from the movie version is below.

As men God has given us a charge to keep- to lead out in our homes and in our church. We need to support each other, encourage each other, and hold each other accountable. Proverbs 27:17 says, "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." On evenings such as last night I go home built up by the fellowship of my brothers and more strengthened by the assurance of their accountability and friendship to be the leader God has called me to be. It certainly makes me so glad and humbled to be the pastor of such men. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget