Friday, May 7, 2010

Punishing your Child

My son is almost six months old so when I came across THIS POST by Tyler Kenney over at DG it was welcome counsel. Kenney cites a quote from 19th century missionary John Paton's experience with his father regarding discipline. You cannot rightly parent your child without showing discipline and by that I mean punishment of wrong. Paton puts the practice of punishing your child in a right Christian perspective. Paton's father in essence communicated the seriousness of sin when he punished him and his siblings. I'm more and more convicted that I want whatever discipline and punishment Blair and I give to Asher to be more than just protecting him from hurting himself or modifying his behavior. We want to communicate the seriousness of sin and the holiness of God. That's a tall order that is calling us to much prayer. Paton's testimony is helpful though and perhaps will be helpful to you as well.

1 comment:

The Adventures of a Simple Life said...

This is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT! I know to pray for them, pray with them, but never thought to pray before the actual act of correcting my children. What a testimony this would be to them. Thanks for this post...

There was an error in this gadget