Sunday, August 15, 2010

Preaching the Cross

About a month from now I plan to conclude the series through Matthew's gospel that I've been preaching for the last two years. A lot has changed in my life over the course of this series so there is some sadness as I think about putting away the Matthew commentaries and turning my focus to another book of the Bible. I can only hope that my congregation and those who have visited with us on Sunday mornings have been ministered to by the preaching at least half as much as I have in preparing the sermons.

Over the last three weeks I've been unpacking chapter 27 and the verses particularly on the crucifixion of Jesus. We'll soon turn to the resurrection but the time I've devoted in study on the cross alone has made an enormous impact on my heart. I encourage everyone to devote time and reflection on what our Lord accomplished on the cross. We often so focus on the drama of the cross we forget its perfectly fulfilled deed. Jesus died to pay a ransom and to purchase forgiveness for those who God has mercifully willed to save. How humbling a thought... He did this while we were still dead in trespasses and sins!

I am continually amazed that my God would save me. It is mesmerizing because there is nothing I've done to or could ever do to merit such grace... but that is grace. This is so humbling and I pray the humbling, amazing, and transforming message of the cross would continuing to shape our congregation as it is shaping me.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget