Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Preaching Christ from the Old Testament

I'm mid-way through my preaching series through the Book of Jonah and I am loving it. My prayer is that my people will grow in their understanding of the sovereignty of God through this little book but I also hope they catch a vision for how to read the Old Testament as pointing to the Messiah. Jesus is all over the Book of Jonah! I do not mean that I believe Jonah's story to be a parable or a point-for-point allegory of Christ. Actually I'm convinced every note of this story is historical just as it is written-- big fish and all! I'm also convinced that Jonah was read and understood in his time. Those ancient Jews were taught the Word of God before the New Testament came in.

However we should now see that Jonah does point to Jesus-- a new and better Jonah! Not only to Jesus draw this line (Matthew 12:39-40) but He taught His disciples that the Old Testament should all be read as a Messianic book (Luke 24:27, 44-46). We are given a great example of Philip, that early deacon putting this hermeneutic into practice in Acts 8:35, "Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture [Isaiah 53] he preached Jesus to him [the Ethiopian official]." Preaching Jesus from the Old Testament does not mean contorting historical events into parables about Jesus but means seeing the typology and how all of Scripture points to the King of Kings.

For more and better insight into this subject Justin Taylor has helpfully linked to Sinclair Ferguson's lectures on 'Preaching Christ' and HERE is the lecture on "Preaching Christ from the Old Testament".

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget