Monday, March 28, 2011

When to baptize a new convert (particularly children)?

3/28, 1:36pm- Links have been corrected- my apologies

Have you wrestled with the baptism debate? No, I'm not speaking about the debate between paedobaptists and credobaptists. I'm addressing mainly those who already hold a view of "the baptism of disciples alone" (as Fred Malone has coined it). The debate is on how to apply this principle. Should a professing Christian, of any age, be baptized as soon as possible? Should there be a period of evaluation and further teaching? If so, how long? If evidence or fruit of repentance and faith must be evident then how much fruit?

I've wrestled with this quite a bit. On one hand I do not want to give false assurance to a false convert. I do not want someone confusing the public profession of faith with actual faith. On the other hand I do not want to require more than Jesus requires or that Scripture requires. This is a tough one. I'd love to get your input. You can post comments (be patient though, they aren't immediately posted to filter spam). Below I've posted links to arguments on each side of the issue. Thoughts?

Argument for withholding baptism from children

Argument against withholding baptism from children

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget