Friday, June 17, 2011

Finding Strength in Weakness

Our family vacation has officially begun so I'll be keeping this short. We're looking forward to the rest- both physically and spiritually. This time will also mark a two-Sunday absence from the pulpit. I'm thankful for those preaching in my stead and it will be good for my congregation to hear new voices. However, I'm right in the middle of preaching through 1 Samuel on Sunday nights so I cannot help reflecting on what I've learned.

I'm continually impressed with how the LORD "flips the script" in that narrative. Instead of the physically mighty, outwardly impressive, boastful, and proud God chose to use the meek, unimpressive, small, physically outmatched, and humble. This does not mean we should not seek education, preparation, or be diligent to grow but we do not put our confidence in the flesh. God used the socially-disregarded (for her barrenness) Hannah rather than Penninah- the loudest hen in the henhouse. He brought the powerful yet corrupt house of Eli down by the prophecy of a little boy named Samuel. He rejected the tall and mighty King Saul for his pride and self-seeking nature and chose instead David, the runt of the litter from a shepherding family in Bethlehem.

So this vacation is not about getting rest so that I can be more self-confident but I'm thankful to the Lord who gives me times for rest and who carries me with His strength during times of battle and times of work. Paul captured it perfectly when he quoted Jesus who said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Paul responded, "Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget