Monday, September 3, 2012

You Don't Need My Agreement

I don't get it. I simply don't understand why people feel it necessary that everyone agrees with them on everything. There is Biblical truth that is non-negotiable and then there is adiaphora. Admittedly I've been guilty of this too. It is fallen human nature. It is pride. Why is there a problem with me if my favorite hamburger joint isn't the one you rave about? Why do you take it as a personal affront if I don't share the same view as you on dealing with the problem of illegal immigration? Why do I lose my orthodox, reformed, or evangelical credentials if we disagree on the application of the 4th commandment or if our church uses home Bible study groups? Must we shop at the same stores? Must we like the same books? Must we sing the same songs on Sunday? I realize those issues that I just tossed out are varying levels of importance but if we speaking about issues that do not compromise the gospel or Biblical sufficiency then why can't we just disagree amicably? It is okay to disagree. It can even be edifying (and fun) if those disagreements are discussed openly and graciously between the disagreeing parties.

It is not okay to demand that everyone agree with you on everything. That is pride. Pride requires that your viewpoint is validated by everyone's agreement. It is not okay to slander and gripe with those who agree with you about everyone else who doesn't agree with you. This doesn't help anything or anyone. It does however feed your pride. It feels good to have others amen your opinions. Look, I have an opinion on everything (much to the chagrin of my wife) and to my shame, I often vent those opinions boastfully... even when my opinion is not solicited. This is sin. This is something I'm being convicted of and working to repent from. Being a "good Berean" does not mean being critical and cynical with limited knowledge and most of our opinions, that we so freely vent and expect agreement with, are based on limited information (aka rumor). There are times it is appropriate to speak out and against the view of another. Have you heard everything in context? Have you heard everything? Have you heard it firsthand? Have you held it up to Scripture? Have you committed to pray for the one you disagree with and need to speak out against? Before we get defensive, before we vent, before we get indignant because someone doesn't affirm our view of a particular thing, and before we seek out those who will stoke our pride by agreeing with us consider Paul's words in Ephesians 4:29,

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget